HAPPY NEW YEAR & happy eighth day of CHRISTMAS.
75 years and so much more to learn! I just learned that the “eight maids a-milking” stand for the eight Beatitudes.
“:On the Eighth Day of Christmas my True Love gave to me…..Eight maids a-milking.
From a literal sense milk was a luxury in the 15th and 16th century because with no refrigeration it would spoil quickly.
So milk, in and of itself, was a generous gift.
The eight maids a-milking represent the Eight Beatitudes, a wonderful and generous gift to Christians everywhere.
Jesus promises us happiness. In fact the word “blessed” means “happy.” The Beatitudes are at the core of Christ’s teaching.
They fulfill the promise made to the Jewish people by pointing beyond earthly happiness to the eternal happiness of heaven.
The reward promised in each of the Beatitudes is primarily heaven.
* Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
* Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
* Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
* Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be satisfied.
* Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
* Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
* Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.
* Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
We love the Beatitudes so the Eighth Day has so much to offer us all.
Merry Eighth Day of Christmas!”
Love you, All!